South African Teachers in the UK

Contact your local office or call us in the UK and we’ll call you back to save you an expensive phone call.

Contact the UK directly: +44 (0)208 371 8058

South African Teachers UK

Sawubona, Molo and Goeiedag from TimePlan South Africa!

Thinking of teaching in the UK, earning pounds and travelling the globe? That’s exactly what thousands of South African teachers have done with the help of TimePlan!

Teaching careers have been greatly enriched by the experience of teaching abroad. Whether you wish to travel over weekends and school holidays or further your career with long term teaching jobs in England or Scotland, we can help!

To teach in the UK you must:

• Have a 4 year teaching qualification
• Have excellent spoken English
• Be eligible for a visa to work in the UK (see below)
• Hold current SACE registration

If you meet this criteria for teaching in the UK, please contact TimePlan on +44 (0)208 371 8058 or register on our website and we will be in touch.

Watch Amy talk about her experiences in coming to the UK and starting a teaching position with TimePlan:

Visa Options for South African teachers

Due to immigration changes, it has become increasingly more difficult for South Africans to qualify for a working visa however there are a few other options:

EEA/British Passport:

If you have a British or European Economic Area (EEA) passport you are eligible to work in the UK without a work visa. If you have a parent that was born in the UK or another EEA Country you may be eligible for a passport from that country. Alternatively, if you are married to a British or EEA passport holder you may be eligible for a Spousal Visa.


If you have a grandparent who was born in the UK, you may be eligible for an Ancestry Visa. This entitles you to work in the UK for 5 years. You will need to provide birth certificates to prove your ancestry.

Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers:

A Tier 2 Visa offers routes into the UK for skilled workers who have a job offer from a UK-based employer who is registered as a sponsor. This means that you can work in the UK only once you have secured a job offer and have gone through the visa application process.

Due to the current immigration restrictions the only teachers being granted Tier 2 Visas are those teaching maths, chemistry and physics.

For more detailed information about visas and to check your eligibility please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website or give your nearest British Embassy or Consulate a call.

Take a look at our Useful Info pages. They provide additional information about Living in the UK, Teaching in the UK, Our UK offices and Frequently Asked Questions.

If you have a EEA/British passport or think you might be eligible for a visa then please fill in our online registration form, browse our current vacancies, and feel free to get in touch by emailing or give us a call at: +44 (0)208 371 8058