USA Teachers in the UK

USA teachers can contact the American office or call us in the UK and we’ll call you back to save you an expensive phone call.

Phone – UK: +44 (0)208 371 8058 North America: 1 877 463 1055

 USA teachers

TimePlan has recruited a number of highly qualified USA teachers who have been extremely well received in our English schools. The immigration process is not easy, and there’s lots of paperwork, but the opportunity to take your teaching skills overseas to Europe is an opportunity you should not miss!

This year we will be attending a number of American University Recruitment Fairs and holding face-to-face interviews on the East Coast. We also offer Skype interviews to ensure that teachers living in other States don’t miss out.

As we have said, one of the toughest challenges for American teachers is getting the right to work in the UK. In order to enter the UK and teach, it is not enough to simply have a passport from your own country. You need a visa to let you live and work in the UK for a pre-arranged length of time. You will also require a University / College recognized teaching qualification and Current State Certification.

Due to recent immigration changes it has become increasingly more difficult for Americans to qualify for a working visa. The following information should help, and you can also check if you need a visa on the Government website.

EEA/British Passport

If you have a British or a European Economic Area (EEA) passport you are eligible to work in the UK without a work visa. If you have a parent that was born in the UK or another EEA Country you may be eligible for a passport from that country. Alternatively, if you are married to a British or EEA passport holder you may be eligible for a spousal visa.

In 2010 the UK Border agency overhauled the UK immigration system. The UK now has a points-based 5 tier visa system. American teachers can be eligible for Tier 2 visa.

Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers

A Tier 2 Visa offers routes into the UK for skilled workers who have a job offer from a UK-based employer. The employer must be a registered sponsor, recognised by the UK Border Agency. In addition to meeting the point’s criteria for this tier, workers will need to present a certificate of sponsorship from their employer. If you do qualify for a Tier 2 Visa your information will be passed to a specific TimePlan division. Additional information on a Tier 2 Visa can be found on the Visas and Immigration website.

Due to the current immigration restrictions the only teachers being granted Tier 2 visas are those teaching maths, computer science, Mandarin and physics.

If you have checked and you do qualify for a British or EEA Passport or meet the requirements for a Tier 2 Visa then we look forward to helping you. Please complete our online registration form and a member of the International Recruitment Team will call you to discuss this wonderful opportunity further.

Take a look at our Useful Info pages. They provide additional information about Living in the UK, Teaching in the UK, Our UK offices and Frequently Asked Questions.