Health Care


TimePlan’s Health Care Factsheet is part of our overseas teachers induction pack. Click on the button at the bottom of the page to open the factsheet. It contains information about the National Health Service, obtaining medical treatment and registering with a doctor.

Is there Medical Insurance Cover in the UK?

Britain’s public provider of healthcare is known as the National Health Services (NHS). These services include hospitals, family doctors, specialists, and ambulances. Your son/daughter will be entitled to receive free NHS treatment! Some dentists and opticians also operate under the NHS but waiting lists are long and should emergency dental or sight treatment be required then a fee will apply.

In England, NHS prescriptions are charged per item. As of April 1 2014 each item costs £8.05.

If your son or daughter takes a regular prescribed medication and are likely to require more than 14 prescribed items in a 12 month period, then they can reduce the cost by buying a Prescription Prepayment Certificate, which is kind of like a “season ticket”.

To obtain free medical treatment under the NHS, they will have to register with a Family Doctor referred to as a General Practitioner (GP) in the UK. We recommend doing this upon arrival in the UK once the teacher has a permanent address. If they need medical treatment before the registration process, they can go to a regional walk-in clinic which are open seven days a week. They can search for locations of clinics and GP offices on the NHS Choices website simply by putting in a postal code.

If there are any pressing issues, major emergency departments offer 24 hour service, 365 days. It is important to know where these are located and that in case of emergencies the number to call is 999, 112 or 911.

Heallth Care