Site Supervisor, Caretaker, Site Manager, Premises Officer, Residential Site Agent.
These are just a few of the job titles used for the person responsible for the day to day control of the cleanliness, heating, lighting and security of all the school buildings on a school site and maintaining a safe environment for children, staff and other users of school premises.
Schools are incredibly good at retaining their site staff, but illness, retirement and site expansion can result in the need for them to occasionally recruit. TimePlan is always happy to help schools find the right person and to recruit good quality school caretakers and site supervisors on their behalf.
Roles and Responsibilities
The main areas of responsibility include:
- general maintenance
- grounds maintenance
- heating, lighting and water
- liaising with contractors
The role will include a broad range of tasks including:
- maintenance and security of the buildings and grounds
- ensuring the cleanliness of the site through management of school cleaning staff and/or agency cleaners
- undertaking cleaning duties as necessary
- ensuring the safe storage of cleaning materials and ensuring the inside and outside environment are well maintained and meet Health and Safety requirements.
Duties will also include:
- being the primary key holder
- checking the building daily, opening and closing the building in the morning and evenings
- liaising with contractors and organising works
- undertaking routine painting and decorating, gardening, DIY, maintenance, plumbing and general repairs
- working evenings to cover for Governors’ meetings, PTA meetings special events and parents’ evenings
- attending to emergencies outside of school hours
Previous experience as a caretaker or site manager or experience in the building trade is desirable but not essential as full training will often be given. Candidates should be able to demonstrate good literacy and numeracy skills and be able to relate well to children and interact with them in a friendly and positive manner.
Relevant qualifications relating to the position e.g. COSHH, working at heights are desirable by some employers. Schools also welcome applications from applicants who hold one or more of the following:
- Level 2 Certificate in Property, Caretaking and Facilities Services
- Level 2 Certificate in Cleaning and Support Service Skills
- Level 2 Certificate in Facilities Services
- Level 2 Certificate in Skills for Supporting Public Services
- Level 3 Certificate in Property Caretaking and Facilities Supervision
- Level 3 Certificate in Principles of Facilities Management.
Skills, Interests and Qualities
- have a broad interest in maintenance, lighting, heating and plumbing etc
- have an understanding of safe working practices and health and safety legislation
- have the ability to keep calm in an emergency, for example if there is a break-in or fire
- have good communication skills to deal with children and adults
- be flexible in hours worked, early mornings and late nights
- have a basic understanding of budgeting skills
- be responsible, honest and reliable
- be well-organised and capable of prioritizing work
- be happy to work on your own and/or capable of supervising other people
- be reasonably fit and happy to carry out manual labour.
Site Supervisor Jobs
TimePlan receives vacancies for a wide range of support roles in schools. Click on our ‘Job Search’ button to see if there are any positions advertised today.