Teaching in the UK is a thrilling experience for Australian teachers

Whether you choose to relocate to a vibrant city such as London, Manchester or Aberdeen City, or opt for a quieter lifestyle in a quaint town or village such as Stratford-upon-Avon, Moray or Henley-on-Thames, teaching in the UK is a life changing experience for Australian teachers. Some states will recognise your time teaching in the UK toward your registration at home.

Not only does a move here mean Australians with a wanderlust can explore this incredible country and its European neighbours at the weekends and during the school holidays, it’s often hugely beneficial professionally. The high number of teaching and casual relief vacancies in the UK mean newly qualified teachers are likely to walk straight into their own classroom and more established educators get to take on new challenges and responsibility. Not only that but teaching in the UK counts towards your registration as a teacher in Australia plus if you’re not quite ready to return home, your UK teaching job will open doors for you at British International Schools all over the world.

TimePlan Education is here to make your UK adventure a stress-free reality. Not only will our supportive and experienced team help you gather the correct documentation, find you a vacancy that fits your career goals, assist with training and interview preparation and provide you with a generous relocation package, you’ll become part of our extended family, enjoying friendly emotional support and a full calendar of social events from the minute you arrive.

Apply now! Click here to complete our five-minute online registration and let your overseas adventure begin.


Toll Free Number: +61 (0) 420 261 637 Email:
Teaching in the UK
Slide 1
Interested in teaching in England?
Slide 2
Interested in teaching in Scotland?
previous arrow
next arrow

Why register with TimePlan Education?

We have hundreds of vacancies in UK schools at any one time and we pride ourselves on being able to match your talents and ambitions with a school that will recognise them. But finding you a satisfying new teaching job is not all TimePlan Education offers. We can help with all aspects of your relocation from visa and work permits, to finding you accommodation and setting you up with a doctor and a British bank. We also know how important travel is to you, so we arrange trips in the UK and Europe with other TimePlan teachers, so you’ll return home with incredible memories and lifelong friends.

£2,000 Relocation Package

TimePlan Education’s generous relocation plan is designed to help our Australian teachers get the most out of their UK teaching experience. Adding up to over £2,000 of benefits over two years, you’ll receive both cash payments to use however you choose and travel vouchers to spend exploring the UK and Europe.

Read more about our wrap-around re-location package and start your UK adventure today.

Job search

Browse through our available vacancies.

Register with us

Complete our simple registration process and we’ll start looking for your perfect job.

Visas for Australian teachers in the UK

The majority of Australian teachers coming to the UK have a tier 5 youth mobility visa. These are only available to teachers under the age of 31. But will allow you to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years.

Otherwise you need to have a British or EU passport, British ancestry or be eligible for a tier 2 sponsor visa. Tier 2 visas are only available for what are known as shortage occupation subjects which at the moment are: maths, science with physics, mandarin and computer science.

If you are unsure, our government's website has a great tool for checking which if any visa you will need. You can find that here.

These visa restrictions only apply if you want to teach within the UK.

If you're not eligible for one of these visas, TimePlan Education may still be able to assist you finding work in other parts of the world, such as the U.A.E. or China.


Check out our FAQ

Your qualifications and career progression

What Qualification will Australian teachers need in the UK?

Australian teachers in the UK will need a Bachelor of Teaching, Bachelor of Education or equivalent.

What is QTS?

QTS, Qualified Teacher Status, is an accreditation given to qualified teachers in the UK.  Many schools see it as a gold standard for teachers. If you have your full registration in Australia, you will be granted automatic QTS.

Do I need QTS?

If you are a Newly Qualified teacher or hold provisional registration, you can still teach in the UK without QTS for up to 4 years. If you hold full registration here in Australia, we recommend applying for QTS. It is a simple application process, free of charge and you’ll be paid to scale from day 1.

How do I get QTS?

If you are fully registered / have your full accreditation in Australia then you will receive automatic QTS.  You can click here to fill in a simple online application and there is no cost involved.